Wordless Wednesday 37

If my photo below brings to mind a memory or otherwise inspires you to do some writing, I hope you’ll share a comment.

View more of my photos here.

And drop in on the following writer friends for further Wordlessness:

Allison Howard

Barbara Rose Lambert

Carin Makuz at Matilda Magtree

Cheryl Andrews

Elizabeth Yeoman at Wunderkamera

Enjoy these recent posts on writing …

Explore Memoir Writing at the Distillery Historic District: May 17

“C” Fundamental (a process): guest post on writing by Carin Makuz

On Memory: Study Finds Our Memories Can Be Reactivated During Sleep

This Story Is Full of Holes, an essay by Kyo Maclear

Journals, Memories, and Tulips: guest post by Mary Catalfo

Comments

1. Cheryl says:

GORGEOUS … I love ‘experimental’, particularly when they take the viewer into another dimension of creative viewing. This should be mounted and framed somewhere in your house, Allyson.

• Allyson Latta says:

Thanks so much, Cheryl. I got so close to it after a while that I wasn’t sure if it was working the way I’d hoped.

2. Marvellous mystical moment with a very Oriental feeling. More like a painting than a photo! (At some point I look forward to hearing the “how”!) So lovely.

• Allyson Latta says:

That’s what I was going for, Barbara, an Asian feel, and something like a painting rather than a photo. Or at least that’s what emerged through experimenting and what I liked about it. I’ll tell you how I did it later today.

3. carin says:

Definitely frame-worthy. I love the way the colour of the water makes it look icy, a mood that’s echoed in all the white above, and then [surprisingly] contrasted with the bird. Looking at it like that I see him as almost hesitant, as if he’s woken up to a changed world.

• Allyson Latta says:

I’m so glad you like it. And how interesting the way you see it, Carin: the icy colour of the water, “a changed world” … lovely!

4. Wow, how interesting Allyson. I’m really interested to know what you’ve done there. The monochromatic colour scheme is beautiful. It looks like a painting?

5. Allyson Latta says:

The original photo was taken in Costa Rica as the sun was going down, and the heron (white) was standing in a shallow pool of water, his reflection just visible. There was green foliage behind him, which was reflected in the water in a V shape. The foreground water was a pale gold, washed out by the reflection of the sun. I achieved the effect here by inverting the colours and increasing shadow to get the variegated, “painted” effect in the background.

6. “The eye would like to fold its rainbow like a fan, and quit discriminating between this and that, and indigo and mauve, and go there.” (Don McKay, Kind of Blue #41 – Far Hills)

Beautiful, beautiful photo!

7. Tom Pals says:

I saw a beautiful Japanese crane today at Lake Biwa. It flew down and landed at the water’s edge while I was sitting having my bento lunch.

8. Christine Barbetta says:

This is art…just beautiful, Allyson.

9. Julie Townsend says:

Ethereal!

10. Paige Hunter says:

Reminds me of being in PEI with my family, a bit of heaven, Paige

11. From Tomoko Suzuki-Murakami:

“Ally, this picture is great and beyond my description, but makes me make a phrase in a poetical mood as follows: “Time passes, nothing stays as it was, and the serenity of the harmony with nature lets us focus on the moment now.” Thank you.