Wordless Wednesday Photo: 44

If my photo below brings to mind a memory or otherwise inspires you to do some writing, I hope you’ll share a comment.

©2013 Allyson Latta

Scroll through more of my photos here.

And drop in on the following writer friends for their takes on Wordlessness:

Barbara Rose Lambert

Carin Makuz at Matilda Magtree

Cheryl Andrews

Elizabeth Yeoman (at Wunderkamera)

Allison Howard will return soon

On Writing

Coming soon: interviews with authors Peter Behrens and Alexandra Leggat

And check out these recent posts …

September Retreat in Kawartha Lakes Combines Memoir & Collage

Oonya Kempadoo’s All Decent Animals Makes Oprah’s 2013 Summer Reading List

Where Do They Come From? (Where Do They Go?), an essay on writing from life by Barbara Lambert

My Secret Life: A Writer Confesses … an essay by Lewis DeSoto

The Appeal of Memoirs that lead us “gently, into a different literary country”: guest post by Lynette Benton

Enter your email address:Delivered by FeedBurner

Comments

1. carin says:

And I suppose you’re going to tell us that bug is real…
    What a shot.
    It’s like he/she dressed for the occasion! And for that specific book.
    And the passage being read.
    And that splash of colour from the fabric underneath.
    Okay, Allyson, nice try. But you got this guy from the dollar store, right?

• I think it is real, but how absolutely perfect!

• Allyson Latta says:

Thank you so much, Elizabeth. I’m pleased you like it. And of course leave it to you to know the perfect quote to accompany it! You have an amazing memory. Lovely. 🙂

• Allyson Latta says:

Funny girl, Carin. Yes, he/she is real. I actually took dozens of photos of dragonflies at the cottage where we were staying, chasing them around the yard like a lunatic. One of those came out quite well, too, but this particular dragonfly just landed neatly on the page as I was reading. I got my husband to hand me my camera, ever so gently, sure that any movement would unsettle the little thing (dragonfly, not husband) — but I think he found the last lines on that page enticing. He lingered a while.

• carin says:

I never actually doubted it of course. (:
        It’s a stunning shot. The dragonfly would have been lovely anywhere, but that particular snippet of dialogue makes it quite fanciful in a kind of anthropomorphic way… I imagine him gazing at the type in wonderment, studying ‘us’ in his own way.

Also love the shadow of wings cast across the edge of the closed pages.

2. “As kingfishers catch fire, dragonflies draw flame…”
    I LOVE this photo, it’s really exquisite.

3. Cheryl says:

Beautiful, Allyson … I love it. There is something poetic about the mystery of the dragonfly pausing at the edge of the figurative and literal imagery of the written page!

• Allyson Latta says:

Thank you, Cheryl. I love your characterization of it. I find it appealing the way the filigree of the wings shows up against the white page. Against foliage the wings aren’t as evident unless they catch just the right light.

4. Allyson Latta says:

The novel, by the way, is “The Lake of Dreams,” by Kim Edwards — a beautiful book, and with the perfect title for a dreamy summer read, don’t you think? The Globe and Mail review is here: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts/books-and-media/the-lake-of-dreams-by-kim-edwards/article562919

5. Christine Barbetta says:

Wow — what an incredible shot! I love this … Great shot and lyrical beautiful composition — so many stories and ideas from this great pic! Thanks for the break from house packing!

• Christine Barbetta says:

Thanks for taking time away from packing to comment, Christine. I was pleased I had the camera within (husband’s) reach at the right moment. Usually it’s somewhere else — like inside the house when I’m outside. Hope the packing isn’t too onerous. What am I saying? Of course it is. Let’s see … helpful advice. Back straight, bend your knees. Okay, I’ll stop now.

6. That is so lovely, Allyson — a literary dragonfly! And why not! He literally has his nose in the words. Magical. Thank you! (Now, should I know the book?) Ah, I see a link to the Globe review, above, which I’m going to look at now! Thanks again. I’m late commenting today because of … well … a very NON-lazy summer day!

• Barbara, I think you’d enjoy this novel. It involves — let’s see — family secrets and art and historical sleuthing. Some romance … Reminds me a little of a certain other novel I liked, but with a very different story and setting, of course. Your “The Whirling Girl.” This one’s set in the Finger Lakes, and a little in Japan as well.

Thank you for describing the photo as “magical.” I’m thrilled.